According to Board Policy and Procedure JBC – “School Admissions," a student residing full-time within the Fulton County School System is eligible to attend a Fulton County school under the following criteria:
- The dwelling in which the student resides must appear on the tax rolls of Fulton County.
- The student resides with his/her parent or legal guardian.
- The student resides with a foster parent through placement by the Department of Family and Children Services or a state licensed child placement agency.
- The student is an adult still meeting entrance age requirements (see Policy JBB - "Entrance Age").
- The student is an emancipated minor.
- The student is homeless (See Policy JBCA - "School Admissions for Homeless Students").
Georgia law requires that children must be five years old by September 1 in order to enroll in kindergarten and to enroll in first grade, children must be six years old by September 1. The only exceptions are:
- Students who are age five by December 31 and who have lived outside the state of Georgia for the past two years and have enrolled in a public or accredited private kindergarten may enroll in public kindergarten in Georgia.
- Students who are six by December 31 and who have lived outside the state of Georgia for the past two years and have completed public or accredited private kindergarten or have attended a public or accredited private first grade may enroll in first grade in Georgia.
To enroll in Fulton County Schools, the student's parent or legal guardian must be a resident of the school system.
- Ear, Eye and Dental Screening
No child entering a Georgia school for the first time shall be admitted unless the child has a certificate of eye, ear and dental screening. This Georgia Department of Human Resources certificate (Form 3300) must be signed by the Health Department or a licensed Georgia physician.
- Immunization Certificate
Georgia requires students to be immunized against measles, mumps, polio, rubella, whooping cough, tetanus, diphtheria, hepatitis B, haemophilus influenza, and varicella. Immunization information must be on the proper Georgia Department of Human Resources form; these are available through the Fulton County Department of Health and Wellness or local physicians (Form 3231).
- Birth Certificate
Must be government issued; hospital certificates are not acceptable. Birth certificates for children born in Georgia may be requested from:
Georgia Department of Human Resources
2600 Skyland Drive, NE
Atlanta, Georgia 30319-3640
- Proof of Residency
Per Board Policy JBC, "School Admissions," two documents indicating residence in the attendance area must be provided for all students.This includes students who are 18 or older; emancipated; adult students. Enrollment of any child who meets the definition of homeless is determined by guidelines in Fulton County Board of Education Policy JBCA.
Appropriate records for verification of residency must include any two of the following:
Affidavit of Residence
- Copy of home mortgage payment book
- Current utility bill (gas, electric, or water)
- Apartment lease showing name of legal guardian
- Homeowner's insurance registration/card
- Current paycheck stub
- Current bank statement
- Copy of sales contract for a home
- Receipt to have utilities connected
A notarized Affidavit of Residence must be submitted. This form is required prior to enrolling a student for the first time in a Fulton County school and also is required for all students as they enter sixth grade and ninth grade. Affidavit forms can be downloaded from the Social Work Department's web page.
Social Security Number
Social security numbers are voluntary. Waivers are available in local schools. Applications for social security numbers are also available in local schools. A migrant number is acceptable.
If possible, please bring most recent report card, withdrawal form from previous school and/or transcripts. These are essential for proper placement of students. Students in grades 7-12 also will need copies of any discipline records.