The Fulton County Board of Education includes seven members elected by district to serve four-year terms. The Superintendent serves as an ex-officio member of the Board and acts as Secretary-Treasurer. Board members elect a President for a two-year term and a Vice President for a one-year term.
Duties and Responsibilities
The primary duty of the Board of Education is to enact policy.
The Superintendent and staff enforce the policies and ensure that each student has an equal opportunity for a quality education. The Board also:
Evaluates the educational program,
Adopts courses of study,
Approves personnel recommendations,
- Approves the budget, financial reports, audits and major expenditures
- Provides funds for the operation and support of the school system,
- Sets minimum standards for efficient operation and improvement of the system,
- Approves school attendance boundaries, and
- Acts as a tribunal at certain employee and student hearings.
Contacting the Board
School board members are elected officials and are not actually employees of the school system. They do not have individual offices at the school system's Administrative Center. However, information received at the Administrative Center is sent to the school board members weekly. Correspondence may be mailed to:
Fulton County School System
c/o Board Services
786 Cleveland Avenue SW
Atlanta, GA 30315
Board members also may be emailed.